Preparation for Flexible Sigmoidoscopy or Rectal Ultrasound
Purchase the following (all are over the counter) at a pharmacy or grocery store
• Two (2) Fleets enema or generic enemas
• Four (4) Dulcolax or generic laxative tablets
DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
• At 3:00 pm begin a clear liquid diet (no solid food, milk, or dairy products). You may consume water, black tea or coffee (no milk or creamer), broth or bouillon soup, clear juices such as apple, white grape or white cranberry, fruit-flavored drinks such as Crystal Light, Italian ices, Jell-O, popsicles, carbonated beverages, sports drinks such as Gatorade, Powerade or Propel. Drink lots of fluids to prevent dehydration.
• At 4:00 pm take four (4) Dulcolax Laxative or generic tablets with 8 ounces of a clear liquid of your choice. Be sure to continue drinking clear liquids for the rest of the evening to prevent dehydration.
DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE
• Do NOT drink anything four (4) hours prior to your procedure arrival time. If you drink any liquids within the 4-hour window, your procedure will be canceled or delayed. Do not eat any candy or chew gum.
• Two hours before your ARRIVAL time, use one of the Fleet or generic enemas rectally at home. Wait 15 to 30 minutes and follow with the second Fleet or generic enema at home.
• Do not take any herbal supplements or vitamins.
• Do not smoke or vape on the day of your colonoscopy.
• Use your inhaler as prescribed for respiratory conditions such as asthma or COPD.
• You must be accompanied by a responsible adult known to you.
You must arrive 60 minutes prior to your procedure time for pre-op paperwork and assessment.
Please see the Pre-Procedure Instructions for important information regarding your procedure. Sign up or access the Patient Portal for results of procedures, check appointment times and communicate with your care team.
Please see the FAQs for answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding your instructions.